Do you fashion yourself a true renaissance Art Director? A visual problem solver who can concept in any medium, and execute against most. Are you a digitally-savvy designer with UX chops? A master video editor in the making? Can you art direct the printed page in InDesign as skillfully as a web page in Sketch? Most importantly, are you totally geeked about using ALL of your skills…instead of just one of them over and over again? Well, Donatello, this might be your lucky year.
Plan B is seeking a talented, multi-disciplinary Art Director to help our fast-paced creative shop rise to the diverse challenges of our day. Whether it’s a :06 pre-roll video or TikTok-inspired digital campaign, a mobile-first landing page promoting a hybrid supercar, or a dimensional mailer celebrating the important work of health care workers — an average week here is sure to bend your brain in many directions at once. So limber up and let’s do this!
As Art Director, you’ll be counted on as a strategic-thinking member of the creative team, a visual problem solver, and resourceful go-getter always eager to figure out the impossible. Here’s a taste of what awaits.
- Design mobile-first digital experiences, including websites, landing pages, emails, e-newsletters, microsites, digital display ads
- Design more traditional media including, but not limited to: print ads, brochures, booklets, fliers, TV commercials, billboards, and more – according to strategic plans provided by the account executive, and by assignment from the creative director.
- Independently tackle video projects across stages (storyboards, animatics, editing, etc.)
- Meet with client service team members and interactive marketing personnel to ensure coordination between traditional and interactive advertising and marketing efforts.
- Provide sound visual concept solutions that specifically solve business problems.
- Work with the development team to understand the opportunities and limitations of the digital solutions proposed and produced by the creative department.
- Represent the creative department as project/team lead in the design and development of digital marketing solutions of all kinds.
- Collaborate with other art directors, copywriters and additional designated “team” personnel in production of creative materials.
- Collaborate with account and creative leads in selection of design elements (papers, vendors, models, freelancers, talent, and outside sources) needed to fulfill production.
- Meet assigned deadlines with a smile
- Maintain strong working knowledge of computer design software and hardware, striving to stay current in level of knowledge and abilities.
- Work to remain current with trends in the digital art direction space, from new methodologies and tools to best practices.
- Work with production personnel (digital, print, and/or video), providing complete input and instruction/supervision to smoothly complete production of approved design.
- Review all production materials on assigned projects and sign off prior to final production.
- Assist with new business presentations as requested by the agency marketing director/creative director/production manager.
- Keep senior art director/creative director informed of need to upgrade design-related computer hardware/software
- A digital design portfolio containing examples (display ads, web design, email, etc.)
- Strong video editing skills (and samples to prove it)
- 5+ years of graphic design experience and 2+ years in an art direction role.
- A passion for exceptional ideas and an almost-annoying commitment to quality
- Strong analytical ability and strategic thinking skills
- Willing to share your point of view (with written & verbal communication skills to back it up)
- Appetite for problem solving and love for fast-paced environments
- Experience working on/managing various creative campaigns in parallel
Local Candidates Only
Talented and motivated Art Directors in the Chicago area who meet the above requirements, and who have the work to back up their candidacy, should send a brief cover note, resume and portfolio using the form below!
At Plan B, we are champions for global responsibility, inclusion and progress. We strive to be a force for good—for our people, our clients, our industry, society, and the world. We keep our people at the center, creating opportunities for their professional development, and building a dynamic culture of growth and possibility. We don’t just accept difference – we seek and celebrate it. We’re committed to embedding diversity in our company mindset, our services, and our teams to empower an equitable and culturally progressive environment that makes us all better collaborators –– both with each other and the clients we serve.
Plan B doesn’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.